Head of Data Science
Full Time - Austin, TX
Favor’s mission is ‘Anything Delivered’. Our Engineering team makes high-touch logistics happen. The Favor technology platform is the engine behind the business enabling millions of Favors. Our technology efficiently manages the real-time assignment of Runners to Favors, facilitates communication between customers, Runners, and support, keeps thousands of customer and Runner mobile applications in sync, and more.
We are looking for a dynamic Data Science leader to innovate and help drive creative, data-driven organizational and product decisions. Through applied data science theory and methodology, this leader will work cross functionally to elevate the role data owns in moving the business forward and competing in a rapidly expanding category.At Favor, we are committed to building a world class team that shares a passion for products and experiences that make a difference. We need leaders like you to help us achieve our mission of ‘Anything Delivered’.
- Build, manage and mentor a high-performance team of data scientists and engineers
- Participate with and support the team as needed in all aspects of model development including design, implementation, validation, calibration, documentation, and ongoing monitoring
- Work collaboratively with business stakeholders to identify and prioritize applications for analytical solutions
- Work collaboratively with engineers and product management to translate business requirements into technical requirements that can be addressed using statistical and machine learning techniques
- Adopt best-practices for deploying and managing data science infrastructure at scale while continuously evaluating new tools and methodologies to optimize performance
- Lead the vision, design and development of Favor’s data science solutions, tools, and platforms
- Support a data driven culture across the company that inspires and motivates the team
- Propose new modeling and algorithmic solutions that leverage the latest in statistical and machine learning techniques to solve problems in critical areas of our business
- Masters or PhD degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science, Economics, Mathematics, Operations Research or another quantitative field or equivalent.
- 10+ years of combined experience in machine learning, statistics, data analysis, programming, or applied research in related fields
- 3+ years of experience managing a team
- Expert level knowledge of statistical methods and machine learning methods and patterns including statistical analysis, machine learning, natural language processing, deep learning, predictive modeling, time-series analysis, experimental design and outcome optimization
- Ability to define the direction for a project and select appropriate methods and tools
- Experience implementing scalable, distributed, and highly available systems using AWS
- Experience building machine learning systems in production at scale to real-world problems
- Deep understanding of algorithmic complexity of model training and testing, particularly for real-time and near real-time models
- Proficient in multiple analytics and programming languages such as R, Python, Java, Scala or similar
- Ability to build trust across the organization and socialize solutions and identified data insights
- Familiar with big data stores like Hive/Hadoop, Big Query, AWS, or similar technologies